Monday, December 16, 2013

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Becoming a mother opens you up to a world of judgment you never actually realized existed out there. Suddenly, there are a whole plethora of things that you do or like or participate in that are up for debate by anyone and everyone around you, regardless of your interest in others' opinions. Perfect strangers avail you of their opinion and its...annoying to say the least. Your parenting choices are the actions or decisions that are most frequently questioned and if you're not careful, you'll start questioning them yourself.

Yesterday, an old friend messaged me on Facebook. I haven't spoken to this "friend" since we were in school. I barely know him to the point that he might as well be a perfect stranger. This person has no children yet so that's what makes our conversation particularly interesting. So we get to chatting about miscellaneous things like what my husband does, what this friend does for work, and finally the conversation comes around to what I occupy my days with. I went on to explain to him that I chose to stay at home with my son after having him. I returned to work for about 6 months but ultimately decided that I wanted to be home with my son while I could. I am lucky that my husband has a job that affords us this lifestyle and he was very supportive of me quitting my job to stay home full time. I am HAPPY staying at home and I feel fulfilled by what I do. So here's the kicker...

This person says to me, "But I remember you being so smart. Make sure you do go back to work, a mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Uhm, what? I can only use my mind while working outside the home? My job is physically, mentally, and emotionally taxing. I work very, very, very hard every day, just like someone who works outside the home. Please, do me a favor - if you're a parent that works outside the home, pat yourself on the back. Now, if you're a parent who stays home with a child, or children, pat yourself on the back. WE ALL WORK HARD.


And to the person who thinks I can't be fulfilled while chasing around my 18 month old: screw you, sir.

1 comment:

  1. *Standing ovation* What a douche bag! Also, please don't waste your mind raising the next generation, teaching your child morals and how NOT to be a douche bag like him. Also teach him how to wipe his butt, cos that shit is important. This poor guy's mother must be ashamed of him. He clearly doesn't appreciate everything she taught him while she was wasting her mind on being a mother.

    ReplyDelete